mission impossible: 21 day sugar detox pt i

Tuesday, October 06, 2015


No, sugar isn't evil and I'm not going to stop posting dessert recipes. I don't even think my life would be worth living if I wasn't allowed to enjoy sweets. Just kidding, though not really. If that's the case, why am I writing about a sugar detox?

As you may or may not know, I travel a lot for work, and finding and choosing healthy options on the road is not easy. In my ideal world, I would eat healthily 80% of the time and indulge once in a while for the remaining 20%. However, I don't always have the choice or will to pick healthy options, contributing to a downward eating spiral as one unhealthy meal (in my case, many unhealthy meals) led to another, and my appetite was gradually trained to crave more bad food and large quantities of it. I would try to eat healthily one day, but then I would start craving simple carbs and sugar and overeat the next day. This became a pattern for about the past 10 months. 

At this point, I was frustrated of being controlled by my cravings and knew I needed to hit the reset button, but how? That's where this sugar detox comes in. I know I know, when I hear the word detox I think - fad, unsustainable, unhealthy. But my mom did this a while ago, and while I refused to join her at that time, I knew that this was not the sort of detox where you counted calories, the main goal wasn't even to lose weight!


My purpose for doing this detox is to 
bring my blood sugar back into balance
which will supposedly help bring my cravings under control 
and reduce fatigue.


Since starting the detox, I have removed all sugar and simple carbohydrates from my diet, and today I'm starting Day 12 (more than halfway through!). I have been keeping a food diary and jotting down some notes here and there:
  • Day 1 - Starting to feel a slight headache in the evening.
  • Day 2 - Still feeling that headache in the morning, but it eventually goes away.
  • Day 3...
  • Day 4 - So thirsty! Drinking a lot of water.
  • Day 5... 
  • Day 6... 
  • Day 7 - Feeling especially hungry today! I fill myself up with carrots and hummus.
  • Day 8 - Attending a work party today. This one is a toughie, as there are barely any sugar-free food / drink options at this event! I eat beef brisket without any sauce / toppings and a few pieces of sushi. I mostly drink water except for some vodka sodas... There's no sugar in that right?? I feel slightly bad, but just trying to keep it real.
  • Day 9 - My skin is clearer and smoother than it's ever been in a while. Maybe there's something to this no sugar thing...
  • Day 10 - Once again, very thirsty so I make sure to stay hydrated.
  • Day 11 - On the road again today! Feeling super lethargic in the afternoon... but in terms of food, so far so good.

To keep me honest, I'll update you guys again when the 21 days are over. I would love to show you what a day's meals look like during the detox. I've been trying out some no-sugar recipes, and you'd be surprised at how many things you can make without sugar that still taste great! Most importantly though, I'll let you know if I thought this detox was actually worth doing.

If there's anything you're curious about regarding this detox, leave a comment. I'd be happy to see if I can find an answer to your questions as I go through these 21 days myself!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe